A set of rules for bargemen was published in the 1776 Act of Parliament. When the canal reached Bristol Road Wharf in 1777 a Board of Rules was erected there to inform bargemen and owners of the regulations in the Act of Parliament.
New Bye Laws were added as necessary, as recorded in the Minute Books of the Company (Bye Law changes 1782 to 1845). These were often printed for distribution to boat owners.
A listing of the fines imposed according to the Bye Laws as recorded in the Minute and Letter Books of the Company can be found here.