The canal closely follows the River Frome past Whitminster House and Whitminster church. The site of the former mill provides an important feed of water which passes through to the nearby Gloucester & Sharpness Canal. Further east, the canal runs across open farmland, and where it is crossed by the Bristol Road there was an important wharf and a nearby mill.
When the Stroudwater was closed to navigation in 1954, the section from the water feeder to Saul Junction was taken over by British Waterways (now Canal & River Trust) as it was still required as a water supply route. Further east, a length of the canal was filled in as part of a flood alleviation scheme, and it is planned to make use of the nearby river channel.