Historical background to selected sites particularly along the western half of the Stroudwater Canal where restoration work is underway or planned.
Framilode Lock is at the western end of the Stroudwater Canal where it meets the Severn estuary.
The bridge carried a track leading to the church and vicarage.
At Saul Junction, the Stroudwater Canal is crossed by what is now known as the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal.
The Junction House was occupied by the official who opened the bridges and collected some tolls.
The dry dock was used for maintaining coastal vessels that were using the ship canal.
The form of this bridge has been much influenced by the changing needs of the nearby Gloucester & Berkeley Canal.
The lock and the feeder from the River Frome were much influenced by the needs of the nearby Gloucester & Berkeley Canal.
This length of canal and the aqueduct were filled in during the early 1970s as part of a flood alleviation scheme.
From the track crossing Stonepits Bridge can be seen the complex drainage arrangements in this part of the Frome Valley.
Two very different structures in a delightful setting, with a nearby ancient orchard.
The site of the wharf can still be seen to the west of the A38 Bristol Road although the buildings are much altered,
Both were built in 1777 and were brought into use in the following year when the canal opened through to Eastington.
The northern section of the mile of canal that was infilled during construction of the M5 motorway and its link roads c1970
The southern section of the mile of canal that was infilled during construction of the M5 motorway and its link roads c1970.
The first lock in the Eastington flight and the adjoining bridge were built in 1777.
The Oldbury Brook crossed the canal and flowed over a spill weir on its way to join the River Frome.
This lock takes its name from the nearby dry dock in the Stroudwater Company's maintenance yard.
As well as the main coal wharf beside Pike Bridge, there was a second coal wharf for a time and later a stone wharf.
The lock is sited just above Pike Bridge, and a Victorian lock-keepers house stands alongside.
This lock acquired its name after the engineer in charge made an error when setting out its level.
Named after the nearby settlement of Newtown, this lock was the first to be fully restored.
This private bridge was built to carry a drive to the big house now known as Eastington Park.
Bonds Mill Bridge is the only access to the former mill. The adjoining building was a Second World War block house (pillbox).
The towpath embankment to the east of Bonds Mill Bridge is on the edge of a very steep slope down to the River Frome.
Built in the 1840s, it was replaced by an embankment after the canal closed, and it is now being rebuilt.
Formed when the canal was constructed, the Ocean was later used by barges and by anglers.
The buildings of Stonehouse Court, church and farm provide added interest to this length of the towpath.
The cottage and house built into the structure of Nutshell Bridge form a notable sight along the canal towpath.
The main wharf serving Stonehouse was close to Stonehouse Bridge, and it later had a railway connection.
The present bridge is a recent replacement and the former Wycliffe College boathouse is nearby.
These two bridges are of dramatically different styles which reflect their different roles and periods of construction.
The buildings beside the towpath to the west of Ryeford Bridge have commonly been known as the Canal Cottages.
The bridge originally carried an important road, and there was a small wharf to the north-west.
The canal passes between the site of Ryeford Mill and the former mill owner's house.
To the east of Ryeford is Double Lock, which has two chambers sharing a middle pair of gates
The canal served two large mills and other industrial businesses and also passed the grounds of a number of large houses.
Ebley Mill was the largest in the Stroud valley, replacing an earlier mill on the north side of the canal.
This wharf was the busiest along the canal as it served some important industrial businesses.
Dudbridge was a centre of industry and a gateway to other businesses in the Nailsworth valley.
Stroud Gasworks was established beside the canal in 1833 and was expanded in the 1860s.
Lodgemore and nearby Fromehall Mills received many coal shipments along the canal,
The basin was formed by a slight widening of the canal at its eastern terminus.
The terminus basin was surrounded by a coal wharf with the Company headquarters nearby.